Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Doing Chores at Ice Station Zebra

Can you guess what these three tubs are doing in this photo?

Time's up!

I'll tell you. They are holding water, water that we ran into them three days ago before the arctic weather moved in.

Water that would supply our horses, when the faucets all froze.

So far our supply is holding up pretty well. I drag out the axe and chop on a tub first thing in the morning, dip enough for the five horses, then repeat the process twice more each day.

I am also spreading manure by hand, and hauling hay and feed in the wheelbarrow since the Ranger battery decided it didn't like the cold.

This morning I hefted all of our trash into the pickup before I checked to see if it would start.

It didn't, so I had to yank it all back out again and pile it into the wheelbarrow, a little bit at a time, for the journey down the road.

It took me five trips to get it all.

By the time I finished, my feet and hands were so numb that I didn't even realize I had cut my thumb.

When I finally noticed it, while parceling out feed, I grabbed a bottle of Pookey's povidone and splashed some on, liberally.

Pookey Bear continues to persevere, despite a lot of discomfort in his right front. I am massaging his pastern and coronary band several times a day, which he enjoys greatly.

Perhaps the cold will eventually numb the pain!

No comments:

Post a Comment