Friday, January 21, 2011

Homemade soaking boot



For those of you unlucky enough to be soaking a horse's foot, I have an innovative design for a homemade soaking boot I would like to share.

Pookey's veterinary team suggested using the sleeves that IV bags come in, but when I reached for the IV bag sleeves at my house, I realized they were cat IV bags, not horse IV bags.

Big difference!

So I have improvised.

I use a heavy duty two-gallon ZipLock bag that I have reinforced with duct tape, inside and out, bottom only. I simply slip this on the horse's hoof, set it down on something soft (usually a towel) and pour in the soaking solution. I then zip it partway shut, wrap the top lightly around his cannon bone, and slap on my big, puffy, easy-fasten TB track bandage over top.

Voila!

The best part is that with the toe being see-through, I can monitor his progress rather easily.

Well, what I hope is progress.


Warning: graphic photo alert!


Here is a photo of the tip of his toe, and a little area where I think we are starting to get some drainage...



Everyone who thinks this is drainage, raise your hand.

Everyone who thinks this is not drainage, raise your hand.

Hey, you, in the back there...

If it's not drainage, then what is it?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment